This is the BEST, easy, chewy chocolate chip and walnut cookies recipe I’ve ever made! I’m by no means a professional baker, but if you’re searching for how to make chocolate chip cookies with walnuts that are soft, gooey, and downright delicious, here it is!
Serves: Makes 24 perfect, tasty chocolate chip and walnut cookies!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (note: one 12oz bag = 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (dark brown)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter. Once creamed, add the brown sugar, white sugar, and blend until smooth.
- Beat in one egg, then beat in the second egg. It is important to beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract to mixture and blend. Set batter aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the baking soda then stir in hot water until fully dissolved.
- Pour fully dissolved baking soda mixture into the batter, then and salt and stir.
- Stir in flour, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and walnuts. Mix until ingredients are blended together. Do NOT overblend!
- Drop large table-spoonfuls of dough onto ungreased pan, about 2 inches apart. The larger the cookie dough, the more space it needs apart.
* For thinner cookies, spoon smaller amounts onto cookie sheet and flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are brown. The time may vary based on your oven and altitude, so watch carefully!
* Special Note: Remember to remove the cookies when the edges are brown, NOT when the center of the cookie is brown. The cookies may look “undone” in the center but trust me – they will harden and continue to cook for a few minutes outside the oven. This will make the difference between having a soft, chewy chocolate chip and walnut cookie versus a crispy cookie.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight container, or in a container with one slice of sandwich bread to keep the cookies soft and moist.
Enjoy eating the best chocolate chip cookies!
Antoinette | Frolic & Courage