Let me tell y’all, this is the BEST fork tender pot roast recipe made using a crock pot slow cooker and simple ingredients. I walk you through my personal pot roast recipe, step by step, so you can see exactly what is needed for you to make a make at home delicious Sunday pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes from scratch!
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast in a Crock Pot Recipe
Prep Time: 10 – 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8hrs
- 2 lb chuck roast
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (substitute: 1-2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup red onion (substitute: white, yellow, or baby onions)
- 1 lb peeled baby cut carrots
- 8 oz pre-washed, sliced white mushrooms
- 4 – 5 large white potatoes (substitute: russet, red, fingerling)
- 3 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil (substitute: vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 pkg (.87oz/24g) brown gravy mix (preference: McCormick Brown Gravy mix)
- 3 Tsp green onions
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Pot Roast Directions
- Let chuck roast thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Let sit to room temperature
- Sprinkle 1.5 tbsp creole seasoning on each side of chuck roast
- Poke six, 1/2 inch thick holes half-way into meatiest part of pot roast. Fill holes with 1/2 way with creole seasoning then stuff with garlic.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into frying pan. Heat at medium-high temperature.
- Place roast in pan garlic side up. Sear until each side of the roast is brown.
- Once seared on all side, transfer roast to a crock pot.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the hot pan to release the fond. If necessary, use a spatula to scrape fond. This will turn the water dark brown and contain meat particles. Once all the fond is released, pour the water into the crock pot.
- Add onions to the crock pot.
- Set on low for 8 hrs.
- Halfway through cooking (4hrs), add baby carrots and mushrooms.
- After 8hrs is complete, shred pot roast with fork.
- To plate, first spoon mashed potatoes followed by roast, mushrooms, and carrots. Pour gravy over service and sprinkle with green onions.
- Pot Roast is fork tender and ready to serve!
Mashed Potato Directions
- Peel and slice 6-8 medium potatoes into 2 inch chunks
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Add 1tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper to water. Bring to a boil.
- Add chopped potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when touched with a fork.
- Drain water from potatoes in strainer.
- Transfer strained potatoes back to pot.
- Add 3 large tbsp of butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder to taste.
- Mash until desired consistency.
- Add 1-2 tbsp green onions
- Add 1/4 cup milk.
- Whip vigorously until desired consistency. If potatoes are too thick, carefully add 1/8 cup milk and whip until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.
Gravy for Pot Roast Recipe
- Set small pot on medium heat.
- Pour 1 pkg Brown Gravy mix into small pot.
- Once the pot roast is 90% complete, spoon 1 cup of pot roast juice from the crock pot into a measuring cup.
- Combine 1/4 cup cold water with pot roast juice.
- Slowly pour pot roast juice/water measuring cup combination into gravy mix. Wisk vigorously until gravy powder is dissolved and the measuring cup is empty.
- Bring gravy to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once gravy comes to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and pot roast when ready.
Let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
Antoinette | Frolic & Courage