Let me tell y’all, this is the BEST fork tender pot roast recipe made using a crock pot slow cooker and simple ingredients. I walk you through my personal pot roast recipe, step by step, so you can see exactly what is needed for you to make a make at home delicious Sunday pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes from scratch!
If you’re looking for other simple recipe ideas, check out my lemon pepper salmon, panko crusted shrimp, and naan pizza recipes.
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast in a Crock Pot Recipe
Prep Time: 10 – 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8hrs
- 2 lb chuck roast
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (substitute: 1-2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup red onion (substitute: white, yellow, or baby onions)
- 1 lb peeled baby cut carrots
- 8 oz pre-washed, sliced white mushrooms
- 4 – 5 large white potatoes (substitute: russet, red, fingerling)
- 3 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil (substitute: vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 pkg (.87oz/24g) brown gravy mix (preference: McCormick Brown Gravy mix)
- 3 Tsp green onions
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Pot Roast Directions
- Let chuck roast thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Let sit to room temperature
- Sprinkle 1.5 tbsp creole seasoning on each side of chuck roast
- Poke six, 1/2 inch thick holes half-way into meatiest part of pot roast. Fill holes with 1/2 way with creole seasoning then stuff with garlic.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into frying pan. Heat at medium-high temperature.
- Place roast in pan garlic side up. Sear until each side of the roast is brown.
- Once seared on all side, transfer roast to a crock pot.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the hot pan to release the fond. If necessary, use a spatula to scrape fond. This will turn the water dark brown and contain meat particles. Once all the fond is released, pour the water into the crock pot.
- Add onions to the crock pot.
- Set on low for 8 hrs.
- Halfway through cooking (4hrs), add baby carrots and mushrooms.
- After 8hrs is complete, shred pot roast with fork.
- To plate, first spoon mashed potatoes followed by roast, mushrooms, and carrots. Pour gravy over service and sprinkle with green onions.
- Pot Roast is fork tender and ready to serve!
Mashed Potato Directions
- Peel and slice 6-8 medium potatoes into 2 inch chunks
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Add 1tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper to water. Bring to a boil.
- Add chopped potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when touched with a fork.
- Drain water from potatoes in strainer.
- Transfer strained potatoes back to pot.
- Add 3 large tbsp of butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder to taste.
- Mash until desired consistency.
- Add 1-2 tbsp green onions
- Add 1/4 cup milk.
- Whip vigorously until desired consistency. If potatoes are too thick, carefully add 1/8 cup milk and whip until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.
Gravy for Pot Roast Recipe
- Set small pot on medium heat.
- Pour 1 pkg Brown Gravy mix into small pot.
- Once the pot roast is 90% complete, spoon 1 cup of pot roast juice from the crock pot into a measuring cup.
- Combine 1/4 cup cold water with pot roast juice.
- Slowly pour pot roast juice/water measuring cup combination into gravy mix. Wisk vigorously until gravy powder is dissolved and the measuring cup is empty.
- Bring gravy to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once gravy comes to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and pot roast when ready.
Let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
Antoinette | Frolic & Courage